Saturday, September 15, 2012

pumpkin shirts!

So today's project actually went as planned which is unusual!  I also worked on a couple other things which I'll share later and am working on designing a couple other projects.  This is in between running errands with the kids and folding 5 loads of laundry!  Anyways, back to the pumpkin shirts.  I was able to get a bottle of orange dye today and sink dyed instead of washing machine dyed (which is how we re-dye our fading curtains!)  I filled the kitchen sink with hot water and added about 1/2 bottle of dye and 1 cup of salt (1 adult long sleeve shirt and 2 kid short sleeve shirts). 



I left them completely under for 15 min and then pulled out the tops of them and dyed the lower 2/3's or so for another 15 min (and added another 1/4 bottle of the dye) and then just the bottom 1/3 and added the rest of the bottle of dye.  It did give it somewhat of an ombre look which is what I was looking for.  Then I washed them in the machine with vinegar to set it some more.  Then I put them in the dryer.  Here they are washed and dried.  You can sort of see how they have a graduated color effect there (these pics are without flash, the next ones are with flash which is why it looks like it faded..)



I then ironed on the decals I had cut out yesterday and here we are!  Matching fall pumpkin shirts for mommy and daughter!  I also dyed a shirt for my son but I have a feeling he will prefer more of a jack o lantern look on his so I'll wait til tomorrow to do anything with it.  I guess that will be tomorrow's project!



I think these turned out super cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment